Follow us on twitter: @AlamoCityHoops1
Five months ago, we released our initial 2017 Top 10 rankings. Since then, there have been quite a few changes including a change at the number one spot, some risers who have climbed into the “Top 10”, key injuries, and for the first time our 2017 rankings will be fifteen deep.
The #1 spot in our Greater SA rankings goes to Greg Bowie (Athlos Prep). During the season, his drive and determination led to eye popping performances against top notch national talent from the likes of Advanced Preparatory International (API), Findlay Prep, and Victory Prep to name a few. More often than not, he was unguardable.
At #2 is Marco Anthony (Holmes HS). The most physically ready D1 prospect in all of Greater SA. His play recently earned him a high major offer from Iowa State, with Colorado, Minnesota, and Texas all making recent contact expressing interest in the smooth shooting lefty.
For this edition of rankings, we do have two high risers, in Anthony “A.J.” Walker (St. Mary’s Hall) and Burone Edwards (Roosevelt HS). Walker showed consistently throughout the season that he is a scoring machine, has good size, and quickness for the point spot. Edwards is a top tier athlete who plays above the rim, and gets after it on both ends.
Injuries also caused us to omit some talented prsopects. We did not list Stanley Umede (Warren) or Frank Harris (Clemens), both Top 10 talents. Umede had shown steady improvement, especially in his outside game before going down with a leg injury. Harris has received multiple football offers, as he stars on the gridiron and is not sure if he’ll play basketball his senior season. He’s currently recovering from a back injury.
We now unveil our Alamo City Hoops Top 15 of 2017:
1. Greg Bowie 6’1″ PG (Athlos Prep)
2. Marco Anthony 6’6″ SG (Holmes HS)
3. Shelby Adams 6’3″ SG (Judson HS)
4. Kobe Magee 6’0″ PG (Brandeis HS/UTEP Commit)
5. Jeff Fesperman 6’2″ SG (Churchill HS)
6. Burone Edwards 6’4″ SF (Roosevelt HS)
7. River Reed 6’8″ PF (Reagan HS)
8. Isaiah Thorne 6’0″ PG (Warren HS)
9. Anthony “A.J.” Walker PG (St. Mary’s Hall HS)
10. Jonathan Reyes 5’10” PG (Clark HS)
11. Johnnie Jones 6’10” PF/C Athlos Prep
12. Luke Schultz 6’9″ PF Our Lady of the Hills
13. Isiah Saenz 5’7″ PG St Anthony HS
14. Jawon Anderson 6’0″ PG Sam Houston HS
15. Aundre Jenkins 6’2″ SG Roosevelt HS